Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Once A Teacher.........

Today has been a "day off".  That is a day off from the routine of formal commitment, that being a shift at the Logan Temple.  Here's how the day transpired for me today.  On Sunday I had talked with a member of our Stake Presidency, President Nyman, at church.  He asked me if I would give him a little more help on his family history.  Since I've learned a little bit about it during the past few years, I agreed to help him if I could.  We made an appointment and he came over to our home for about two and half hours this morning.  He was very interested and it was great to "teach" someone who is really motivated to learn.  I showed him what I do and tried to answer his questions.  As the time rolled by, I could see he was catching on and getting to feel really excited about what he was learning and what he was going to be able to do with his new-found knowledge.  The time seemed to fly by and he thanked me for helping him get what he called a "working ability"  to use New Family Search
and submit the names of those on his family tree to the Temple for ordinance work.  I was very happy to be of some assistance in this work, which is so very important I the eternal scheme of things.
 
 
Just before President Nyman arrived this morning, I received a phone call from the Sharps.  They are a couple we work with at the Temple.  They live up in Thatcher, Idaho.  In a conversation a couple of weeks ago they had indicated a desire to learn more about how to do family history and get some of the names of their ancestors submitted for temple ordinances.  They wanted to know if it would be alright for them to make a special trip down to Logan so that I could show them what I do and help them get started.  They arrived about 2:00 PM and left about 5:30 PM.  Sister Sharp said as they were getting ready to leave that it seemed like just about an half hour instead of three and a half.  That's what happens when a person has caught the vision, the Spirit of Elijah, and really wants to learn how this is done.  We found several names for both of them and more importantly, they left believing they could find names by themselves from here on out.  Of course, I will continue to help willingly if they need anything I with which I can assist.  Again I was very happy to be of some assistance in this work, which is so very important in the eternal scheme of things.
 
As they left to drive back home Iris took a picture of me and the Sharps.  When we left Bear Lake we left many dear friends and acquaintances behind. We still see some of them quite often.  We have met many people here who have become very dear friends as well.  We are blessed to have good people around us and to be able to help the in some small way.

3 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

You really are a great teacher dad, in many ways. Little did you know ( you probably knew) how much your love for family history would span beyond just you and your family. You are helping many others and their many family members beyond.. I am proud to call you my dad and my teacher. I love you.

Alison Daugs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
meegz said...

It's wonderful to be needed. Glad you are always willing to serve.