Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Hiking the Wellsvilles on Smoky Day



The weather forecast for Tuesday called for clear skies, a bright sun shiny day. I had eagerly anticipated a hike to the top of the Wellsvilles and the opportunity to see literally hundreds of miles in every direction and to feel the exhilaration of a mountain breeze in my face and to see the awaited beauty always inherent in a day in the mountains. From the outset, I recognized that this would be no ordinary day. For several days, we had heard the news reports of the wildfires burning in the Northwest., Oregon, Washington, and Western Idaho, as well as Nevada and even Northern California. We have been concerned for the lives and the property of some of our friends and acquaintances who live near the areas most affected by these blazes. The smoke from the fires has been carried by high altitude winds to the east and by this past weekend had filled the skies over Cache Valley and the mountains of the surrounding areas. It has resulted in some amazing sunsets, but otherwise the views have been much different and more restricted than usual. Undeterred, I set out early for Box Elder Peak, via the Rattlesnake Canyon Trail. If I were to go to the top, I would be looking at about a 4500 foot elevation gain. I had never been on the trail and didn't exactly know just what to expect. After hiking up the canyon trail through the maples and Giant Chain Ferns, I eventually broke out into the open area a couple of miles from the trail head.. I looked out over beautiful Cache Valley. It was filled with smoke and haze. One could barely see the mountains in the distance, and it was with some difficulty that one could even make out the most prominent towns and highways below. At one point along the ridge I stopped to rest, to have good cold drink from the water bottles I had brought along, and, of course, to ponder, as I often do while out in nature. As I sat there on the mountainside the words of Paul to the Corinthians came to my mind: 1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." Life is a journey, a journey fraught with difficulty and uncertainty, but with a promise to the faithful. Our Father in Heaven knows us. He knows all things, not only as they are, but as they have been and as they ever will be. He wants the best for us all, and "He leads, us, He leads us along." I sat there on the mountain, gazing out at the smoggy scene before me and rejoiced at the thought of a better day, when we will see clearly and praise the Lord face to face. I didn't go quite all the way to the summit, leaving that to a time "on a clear day" when I can see forever. Before heading down the mountain I raised my eyes toward the heavens. The sky was clear, The sky was blue and I was reminded of the direction all must look if we are to see all that we are intended to see, and understand all that we are capable of understanding. It gave new meaning to the words: "Keep your head up!" Have faith! There are brighter days ahead! "The Sun will come up tomorrow.", and the Son will come soon too. This I know.

No comments: