Thursday, July 31, 2014

FORTY-EIGHT YEARS

FORTY-EIGHT YEARS- Yes, that is right. Forty-eight years ago today Iris and I were in the Logan Temple. We knelt across the alter and exchanged sacred vows. We became husband and wife pledged to honor our covenants for eternity. Today has been a wonderful day for us. We attended the same temple where we made those sacred promises to one another and to our Father in Heaven. We have been here on this date probably 40 out of the forty-eight years. It has added strength to our marriage and our life together. There were a few years when our anniversary fell on a Sunday or a Monday when the Temple was not open, and then there was the one year which I so vividly remember, primarily because I felt so bad and so small (so very small) and unappreciative. I had planned a week long backpacking trip into the Wind River Mountains with some of my sons. It was a wonderful and beautiful experience to witness the majesty of that rugged mountain range in the company of some of my sons who were able to get away and whose company I cherish, especially if we can be together in such a beautiful and peaceful setting. The trip began about the 26th of July. On July 29th, we were camped near a beautiful mountain lake called Clear Lake. I remember the stillness of the morning and the perfect reflection of Haystack Mountain in the lake waters. We cooked up a good camp breakfast and sat around the fire and started to eat. Everything tasted so good. About this time one of my sons (I can't remember which one) came over to where I was sitting and enjoying my breakfast in the cool mountain air and handed me an envelope. I opened it. Inside I read these words, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. Instantly my heart sank and my six foot two inch frame seemed to shrink to about a quarter of an inch. It is the only time I've ever forgotten our anniversary, and I pray I never do it again, not that Iris was very upset about it. She had actually encouraged me to go on the trip and take the boys with me, but I had forgotten a date which changed my life and has led to so much of what is good in my life. I love my wife, IRIS, I always have since we met through the tender mercies of the Lord those many years ago. Our life together has been blessed in so many ways. We've had our ups and downs like most marriages do, but we have tried to work together to solve our problems and challenges. We have never doubted the eternal nature of our relationship and it has given us hope and faith, that in spite of trials and personal challenges, with the Lord's help our union and our family will be eternal. Our problems will only make us stronger and better as we prayerfully seek to be better parents and better eternal; companions. One thing we have discovered is, that the more we remember and keep the covenants we made to one another and the Lord in the Logan Temple forty-eight years ago today, the happier we are. May we never forget this day nor it's significance. Not ever.

1 comment:

Alison Daugs said...

Happy Anniversary!!! 48 is a great accomplishment. Love you both.