Saturday, January 25, 2014

Where Are You From?




We were doing a little shopping today at the Wal-Mart in South Logan.  While we were there we wanted to pick up a bottle of Karo Syrup.  We couldn't find the shelf where the Karo Syrup was kept and so we kind of wandered off in our own directions looking for the syrup isle.  I soon found it and then I went to look for Iris.  When I found her she was having a happy, smiley conversation with the store manager, whose name was Cammie.  They were chatting away like long lost friends.  Here's how it went.  Iris walks over to this lady who is an obvious an employee of the Wal-Mart store.  Iris says:  "Could you tell me where I can find Karo Syrup?" The Wal-Mart employee asks:  "Where are you from?"  The ensuing conversation led them to rediscover their roots.  You guessed it. Georgia.  She was actually from Columbus, Georgia which used to be a part of the Macon Georgia LDS Stake.  Iris is from Macon.  They were fast friends from the get-go.  I met Iris more than 40 years ago and at the time  I thought she had a cute southern drawl.  Since then, Iris has lived in the west for many, many years, raised her family here and after all these years I sometimes think she has lost that southern drawl.  Then I am reminded by a stranger, a waitress at a restaurant, someone at a store, someone at church, or anywhere we may happen to be around people.  She is often asked the question: "Where are you from?" Well, she is not from Mars, but she is obviously a marked woman.  Her southern drawl generally opens doors and her southern hospitality creates almost immediate friends with previously unknown strangers.  I guess it is pretty obvious:  Peaches are sweet, especially my peach.

2 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

She is sweet and has a sweet drawl. That is a great picture of her.

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

This is a beautiful photo of Iris! Agreed, Iris is sweet and can visit with everyone. I have always been impressed with the way she remembers details of people she meets/knows. What a wonderful quality, love you Iris!

Rene