Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Short Pheasant Hunt in Cache Valley

Jason called  a few days ago and asked if I'd like to go pheasant hunting with him.  We decided that this Thursday would be a good day.  I told Jason I'd love to go with him, but that I wouldn't be hunting.  I've kind of given the sport up, whether it be for deer, ducks, or pheasants or anything else for that matter.  I told him I'd take my camera and do my hunting in a little different way this time.  This morning he called and told me that JT would be coming along with him.  So much the better.  I love to be with my family doing almost anything outdoors.  Jason had done his research and said the DWR had  released about 11,000 pheasants around the state.  That sounds like a lot of pheasants, but please remember this is a big state in terms of area.  Anyway he thought he knew where we could find some birds.  We ended up at the Bud Phelps Wildlife Management Area near Mendon.  It was a beautiful day to be out tramping around the fields and meadows of Cache Valley in mid-November.

Below are just a few of the pictures of our few hours together.

Jason taking aim with the old 16 gauge he inherited from his Grandpa McMichael.
It just feels good to be out in the field with the old shotgun in hand  looking for an illusive pheasant. 
 He didn't go unrewarded.  Here he is with number one.  The limit is two.   He got  the second about an half hour later.   All in all a rewarding afternoon.
My eldest son and his eldest son, Cache Valley Utah, November 14, 2013
It was a rewarding afternoon unless you are a beautiful rooster pheasant.  Gotta feel sorry for these birds. If you don't think so watch the video below.

2 comments:

Alison Daugs said...

How fun!!! Nothing like time in the outdoors with family.

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

I agree with you - lets just take pictures. :) Thanks for getting some great photos of my sweet husband and Taterbug.

They enjoyed spending the afternoon with you. Thanks for taking the time.